Monday, April 4, 2011

How Being a Gym Rat Makes You Holy - Advanced Discipleship in Youth Ministry

In the past couple of years, I've become one of those guys who goes to the gym multiple times a week.  I hit my late 30's, was out of shape, and didn't like it.  But it took a doc telling me I had to go if I didn't want to come in and see him all the time to get me motivated.  I don't go to be studly (I'm a 40 year old dad, after all).  I don't go because I love it.  I go because it's what I need to do to be healthy, and live life in a way that works.

What's funny is that before I went regularly, I would talk about being healthy and in shape.  I was active at a basic level, ate okay, and thought I was alright.  I wasn't.  It began to show.  So, I learned how to go on a regular basis, and over time, it's made a huge difference in a ton of places in my life.

When we talk about discipleship with students, there are some similarities for us to understand as leaders.  If a person is going to grow spiritually, the beginning pieces of discipleship are necessary.  We talked about those in the discussion on level 3.  (You can read it here.)  Bible study, prayer, and other disciplines have to be there.  But they are not enough, they aren't the end.  We have to go farther if we want to continue to grow and live like we are designed to.

Helping students engage in acts of service, finding out what it means to sacrifice, to forgive, to love, and to do these things in the way Christ teaches us to, that is what we call Advanced Discipleship on our pyramid.  It's Level 4.  We intentionally create opportunities for students to serve weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually in different areas, in different ways.  We mentor students and help them learn to forgive those who don't ask for forgiveness, to serve those who may not be expecting to be served, to love those who may believe they are beyond being loved.  When we help students do these things intentionally, we help them move from talking about being in shape spiritually to putting some training to it.  Much like working out on a consistent basis, it begins to shape them when they take it on as part of their lifestyle.  It also prepares them for life after high school, to live out their faith and continue growing when all of the camps, retreats, and lock-ins are done.

It takes planning on our part.  Remember, by the very design of the pyramid, you will have less students at this level than any of the previous three.  You might be talking about small numbers by the time you get to level four.  Don't try to pull all of your students here.  Also, your programming should reflect this pyramid as well.  If you are doing all service projects, and doing them with the goal of having every student serving as an act of advanced discipleship, you're missing the point. 

It's interesting that today, students from all levels are interested in service.  We have found that service projects can actually be effective at any level on the pyramid.  We use them to involve new students, we use them as evangelism TO the students serving, and on up the chain as well.  So, we need to be very direct in why we are setting up a service project.  What is our goal, and who are we trying to reach with it?  How will we know if it succeeds or not?

Level four is tough because it often takes a bit of work and resources to do well, and often reaches less students.  It is crucial though, as we try to help students become disciples.

I'd love to hear what you are doing for advanced discipleship with your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share
Bloggermint