Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Next Gen Ministry circa 3200 BC (new ministry blog post)

When it all comes down to it, we have a pretty straight forward job as youth pastors and leaders.  All of the programs, systems, toys, distractions, trips, and events will pass by.  I promise, they all fade given enough time.  Anybody remember the Newsboys inflatable concert domes with the motocross guys?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

But here, in Psalm 78, we find the basic part of what we are about.  Check it out:

1 My people, hear my teaching;
listen to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth with a parable;
I will teach you lessons from the past—

3 things we have heard and known,
things our ancestors have told us.

4 We will not hide them from their descendants;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
his power, and the wonders he has done. 


Really, that's it.  We teach what we have been taught.  All so that the next generation will meet and love Jesus for themselves.  Then they will pass it on.  You and I only have so much time on this planet to get this done.  No, really, our time is kind of quick here.  Think about how quickly your college years are going/went by.  It goes fast.

Use the tools God has given you.  But don't confuse your iPhone apps for ministry.  They aren't.  Which gets your love, time, and attention?  Where are you investing yourself?  What does your calendar and wallet point to as priorities?


Let's not hide what we know from our children, instead, let's pass our stories on to the next generation.  It's not a new idea, but it's crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share
Bloggermint