Thursday, May 26, 2011

Need Leaders? Roll the Dice and Let God Pick 'Em! (new blog post)

This morning I was reading in 1 Chronicles 24 and 25. (How's that for a devo throw down?  I read Chronicles, what do you read?  John?  Pssshhh!)  Anyway, David is appointing the pastors for the Temple, and this weird little detail creeps in.  When they are choosing who will do what, they don't use a personality test, check for who has the degree from the best seminary, or even ask who has the most experience.  They cast lots for all of it.  You know about casting lots, it's the Biblical roll of the dice.  They put the whole thing back in God's lap in a way that risks it all.  Either God controls the roll of the lots, or the Temple will be a mess. 

I'm not advocating tossing dice as leadership development.  But, what is our equivalent?  When we need to provide leadership to one of our ministries, how much do we take on ourselves, and simply ask God to bless it after we make the decision?  How could we change our methods so that we HAVE to depend on God to show up, or we will be dead?  No, seriously, what would that look like?  How would we "cast lots" to find out who to place where in our ministries?

I'm not sure I have answers, but I am going to think on it.  I'd love to hear what all of you think might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share
Bloggermint