Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's Summer ... so what?

As much as I love summer
I've got to admit, I also dread summer
It seems like all summer I walk this tight rope of having way too much going on and wanting to just stop and do nothing
So, as a youth pastor, what should we be doing with our summers?
Over the last few years I've tried to settle into a pattern to make the most of my summers.

REST

This is so key; and it's one that I struggle with (as evidenced by the fact I've already touched on it before - check it out)
Throughout the school year we run so hard.
Writing lessons, teaching lessons, running youth group stuff, connecting with students and leaders
The reality is that the summer is no different.
It seems as if the trips, camps and activities are never-ending.

Guess what ...
They aren't that important
No, really!
All the stuff you've got going on this summer IS important
But it's not THAT important
You need to stop
You need to cancel something
Go hang out at home
Make a dumb memory with your kids
Be intentional about creating space for rest
Model for your students and for your family what it means to just slow down.

This summer if you haven't found time to rest yet
Do it now
Create the space to rest, and know that Jesus will meet you in that place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share
Bloggermint