Saturday, March 5, 2011

Its not about you...

So I used to think that the flow of a night, or the feeling/energy of a ministry activity was based on how I was doing that day.

Honest...

We have our Junior High Ministry on Wednesday Nights and our Senior High Ministry on Thursday Nights. I found myself anticipating an awesome night when I was having a great day.

Whether it would be I had lunch at Chipotle...
**Shameless plug
Had a great day in the office...
Got a new Youth Ministry toy to play with...
(Raise your hand if you know what I am talking about!?)
Had a great conversation with a Student or a Parent...

Whatever.

But i always, for some reason, anticipated an awesome night of ministry if I was having a great day. Now on the other hand I would anticipate a horrible night of ministry IF I was having a bad day. Honestly I would hate even thinking about the Students coming and being bored, low numbers, not excited... etc. That was all because I, ME, I was having a bad day.

Now some crazy things happened. Sometimes I would have an awesome day, a great sunny happy day and our Ministry night wouldn't be outstanding. Not that it was bad, but it just wouldnt be as powerful as I thought it was. The same was true for the opposite situation. I would be having a junky day...
JUNK
but God would still move through the night and Students would have an awesome time getting in touch with God. I would be standing on the side just in awe, as if I had anything to do with the night being great or not. It's not about me.

I think this is an issue that most of us face. For some reason we dont think God is able to compartmentalize our junky attitude and a great night with a great Spirit amongst the Students. We think that WE actually have the final say whether or not the night goes well. Kind of like that attitude of "Im having a crappy day so you get to have one also..."

Dudes... Its not about us. God will use you if you want him to use you... But on the other hand God doesn't need to use you. He can do it himself. He can make Students have an awesome night whether you are or are not.

Its almost a sense of P... Prrr...Prriiiiii...
Echhh HEMMM (Clears Throat)

PRIDE.

Be sensitive to God. He is going to make a Ministry Night powerful and awesome whether you are down or up. Its not about you... Its about Him...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share
Bloggermint